Way back when I started in real estate, nearly 30 years ago, no one in my market area had a car phone, let alone a portable cell phone. Consequently, when we got in our cars we actually were able to concentrate on driving.
These days we make phone calls while driving and some of us even send and receive text messages while driving! As you know, this is a criminally stupid practice, yet we know that it gets done all the time.
I just now found an app for both iPhone and Android phones that should help to make this practice less dangerous.
It’s called Chatbaka and it makes use of voice recognition software to make the process of sending and receiving text messages almost completely hands free.
From their iTunes preview page they have this to say:
Got something to say? Bored in the car? Stop texting! Chatbaka is the safer way to send messages while driving. Stay connected to your best friends and family using voice to text.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
1. Tap the big microphone button to record a voice message. A text transcript and voice recording are sent via SMS and MMS.
2. When someone sends you a text or voice message, Chatbaka reads the message out loud.
3. Switch to text mode to use the keyboard when you’re not driving.
4. Switch back to drive mode when you’re back in the car.
– Free SMS messaging
– One-on-one chat
– Group chat
– Automatically play messages hands free
– Invite friends using their phone number. If they don’t have the app, they can reply from iMessage (SMS).
– Swipe right to switch groups.
You can get the iPhone version here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chatbaka/id976357463?ls=1&mt=8
And the Android version can be found here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.telenav.frontier
But, maybe you could just pull over when safe, and accomplish your texting while stopped…